RUNNING AN EFFECTIVE FAMILY MEETING
The purpose of the FAMILY MEETING is to set aside a period of time each week/month so that the whole family can spend constructive, quality time together discussing any concerns and/or issues that need to be addressed.
1. Develop a set of "Family Meeting Rules" at your first meeting. Be sure to write them down and follow them during each meeting.
2. Have the family meeting at the same time and place each week, allowing for emergency time changes as necessary.
3. Make sure ALL family members are present and have a chance to be heard.
4. Put all decisions from the meeting in writing. Have each family member sign the sheet when the meeting ends (see our “Family Meeting Minutes” worksheet).
5. Keep the meeting positive! Have rules against disrespectful behaviors such as interrupting, insulting, or yelling.
6. Avoid distractions. Turn off cell phones and make sure there are no TV’s or radios on in the vicinity.